Friday, September 16, 2011

Born to Run

Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen
by Christopher McDougall
5 Stars
Nonfiction: Memoir
Setting: USA, Mexico
287 pages
Published 2009

Ellie's Review
If you run or have ever thought about running, you should read this book. I was completely hooked from the first page to the last: the story was so incredibly interested and was well written. Learning about the running tribe in Mexico was amazing, and I am seriously considering purchasing a pair of Five Finger running shoes (even though I've openly mocked their appearance). I will honestly think of this book every time I run, and I hope to think of it whenever I face a challenge I think is too great for me. I loved this book!
 
Book Summary
Full of incredible characters, amazing athletic achievements, cutting-edge science, and, most of all, pure inspiration, Born to Run is an epic adventure that began with one simple question: Why does my foot hurt? In search of an answer, Christopher McDougall sets off to find a tribe of the world’s greatest distance runners and learn their secrets, and in the process shows us that everything we thought we knew about running is wrong.

4 comments:

  1. While I am NOT intrigued by running, I am interested in those five finger shoes also. I dont want to get suckered in like I did those "tone-up" shoes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was an AMAZING book. I absolutely loved it. I love when a book can totally change your way of thinking. I haven't been brave enough to run barefoot at the gym yet, but I am planning on it very soon (well, at least in socks). I am also going to try out salads for breakfast - what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have this on my list. Did you buy the shoes is the question....?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't yet been brave enough for the shoes, but I still want to!

    ReplyDelete