Tuesday, July 19, 2011

The Hunger Games

by Suzanne Collins
5 Stars
Young Adult, Science Fiction
374 Pages
Published in 2009

Ellie's Review
I absolutely loved this book! Yes, it's science fiction (and I normally am not a big fan of this genre), but I loved it. The plot was gripping and it was a page-turner. I actually listened to this audiobook in my car, and I drove around running errands to finish it. Then I brought the last CD inside to listen to it. That's how much I liked it. I liked that it wasn't a clear good verses evil. There's no Lord Voldemort who is pure evil. Instead, it has a variety, and the main character works hard at being good (as many other characters do also). Where does a person draw the moral line? Can't wait to read the second book!

Book Summary
(I know the summary sounds odd, but trust me on this book!)
In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Book Club Information
We loved learning some background information and discussing the questions found on the Scholastic website. This was one of our best meetings of the year!

Author Information
Suzanne Collins previously wrote a children's fantasy series called The Underland Chronicles - see Ellie's review of the first in the series: Gregor the Overlander.

No comments:

Post a Comment